Monday, June 20, 2011

New Terminal at Beauvais Airport

Dear Mother,

We began last week's mini trip by driving straight to the new terminal at the Beauvais airport. About an hour later, we parked the car, and started looking for my photo.  I had heard that France is thinking of Beauvais becoming the third airport for greater Paris.  There are certainly many airlines coming here, but all seemed to be minor.  We walked by a number of interesting restaurants (more promising than anything in Chicago's O'Hare, which is so much larger but a dismal place to be stuck for eating). 



We found the photo at the new Information Desk, just as it had been described to us.  They have a nice display of various products of the region and the large photos behind the desk indicate what one can do in the Oise region (golf, horse racing at Chantilly, gardens and visit the apse/choir at the Beauvais Cathedral--the highest such structure in that style in France).  I liked the display being framed by two of my favourite hobbies, golf and visiting cathedrals.



I was really pleased when they showed me that part of the photo disappears when a door is opened--just as with the walls of rooms in the Baroque castles in France, such as Versailles.  I have always admired those doors to secret hallways and the ways they are hidden to all but those in the know.




So there is it, and there it will apparently reside for a decade.  We got some good information on the region from the attendants at the desk, who very kindly pretended to like my photo and the chance to meet us, and then we were on our way to see things rather more interesting.

The day is very rainy in Paris but I just heard of a church that is apparently delightful, yet totally hidden from the street, so I will set out to see if Philippe's instructions will suffice for my gaining entry.

With love from us both,
Evan

1 comment:

Mark Kreider said...

Beautiful... It's BIG! I could not be more proud. This made my day! (best photo by a long shot)