Sunday, May 9, 2010

May 9th--Leaving St Maurice and heading to Carcassonne

Dear Mother,

We are up early (for us), 6:30 (9:30 p.m. Vancouver time) and having a breakfast of stale French baguettes, jam, coffee, yogurt on hearty cereal and pills.  We dunk the bread in the coffee and all is well.  The main reason for this entry is to remind you that in Carcassonne we will not have access to the internet at our place.  I we can find a wifi café, we can still write, but otherwise we will be silent for a week.

Yesterday one of Janie's professors arrived, on her way to Brussels to do some teaching (in English).  Unfortunately, somebody picked up her suitcase and another just like it and marched off, unaware of the surprise to come.  The airport determined that the suitcases had indeed been put into baggage on the flight.  Fortunately, the man realized his error after reaching home to unpack, returned them to the airport, and they were brought here by taxi promptly.  It is just a reminder that people make mistakes when jetlagged.  That is why we mark our luggage with bright red yarn wrapped tightly and repeatedly around each handle and flap.

Beside repacking for the week (leaving 1/3 of our stuff here), I went to the SNCF (train station) to transform my printouts from Canada into boarding passes which can be run through the machines as you enter the gate for your train.  It turns out that I could have done this on my own at some special ticket machines, but I wasn't sure about several things so I stood in line and got a very friendly agent who did everything for me.

That completed, I once again headed out to see what there was to see.  This took me, somehow, over to the Bastille.  Of course the famous prison was torn down shortly after the Revolution, which is a pity because it would be a wonderful tourist destination these days.  However, the new Opera house is now in that general area, so I dropped by.  There were lots of young people sitting on the grand outside steps, listening to a rather different kind of music--their kind.  It was all in the aid of asking the government to legalize marajuana.  I smelled only cigarettes and saw lots of wine and beer, a few people who were decked out in counter-culture ways, and everybody was having fun.  Older people walked by, quietly shaking their heads, smiling.  For me, it was a great time to take people's pictures, so I shot quite a few in the bright light.  There were also many people enjoying the sunshine at outdoor café tables, so I got a few of them, on the sly.

I took the metro home and started supper, which reminds me that we went to the area's best market in the morning.  Even though it was a holiday, our favourite coldcuts stall was open, so we got some sauerkraut done with pork and wine, some taboula (my spell check seems to be off, so my spelling may alarm you, again), apples, our favourite frankfurters (veal), bread and the like.  In other words, supper (heat and serve).

Janie and Neal invited us upstairs for strawberries with her professor and we talked about church music, her area of teaching.  Then we did a bit more repacking and turned in, knowing that today will be filled with travel, new sights, and an interesting medieval city, Carcassonne.  I should add that the person looking after the small apartment sent me an e-mail volunteering to meet us at the train station and drive us to the apartment, as well as pick up a little bread and cheese in case stores are closed because of the holiday.  We were so grateful to accept the kind offer.  There's nothing like being made to feel welcomed.

All for now.  We're hoping we can find internet service that works for us and that you will be well while we are out of touch,

love,
Evan (and Janice)

1 comment:

Mark Kreider said...

I haven't had time to look at "Postcards" all week. I slept in 'til 6:45 this morning (Saturday). Amy had dripped coffee ready for me. I sat back in my reading chair, feet up, laptop warming my legs, sipping some Peet's and catching up on your and Janice's doings... luxury!

I liked the cathedral, Saint-Gervais-Saint-Protais. Without a spire it seemed rather humble, much like the folks that worship there, yet uplifting with the interior height. I would pick that one if I lived nearby.

Enjoy your travels!