Saturday, June 9, 2018

Recording sessions at Domaine de la Chaux, Alligny-en-Morvan

Hello,

I wish I had taken photos of the initial days of recording, but was focused instead on singing.  Pierre has one working recording studio in the upper loft of a former wagon barn.  This is used primarily for smaller chamber groups, particularly jazz.  The old beams look wonderful against the newly finished walls and soaring ceiling.  The acoustics are good.  Rugs can be moved about to change the sound somewhat.


Pierre and his colleague have quite the collection of electric guitars.




The recording engineer felt, however, that of all the spaces around the estate, the "Les Moines" (the monks) would be best for our ensemble.  This is where the Countess used to house monks on retreat.  The soundboard and computer equipment were set up in the monk's reading room.  There is an old wooden table built around a pillar.  The monks would then sit on wooden benches facing inward while reading.  The estate still has a good selection of reading material in this little library, but it has no been updated recently, other than for some books on dogs.  While waiting, I read on on Edith Piaf, written by her sister.  The first photo shows the building where we entered for the three daily recording sessions.










We recorded in the more comfortable sitting room with the large fireplace, very tall windows, and lighting which changed constantly.  Since I now sing from my tablet, I no longer worry about having enough light to see the music properly (as my eyes slowly fade).  Some microphones were set up to record at close range, others for ambience.  I'm interested to see what blend they use.  I think we could use about all the reverb they can muster.





Samuel and Emmanuel usually rested while others listened to the latest takes.  I felt I learned by listening.


FR3 set a crew to record us on the last day for the region's TV daily broadcasts on local cultural events.  I enjoyed meeting the presenter, who was formerly a professional dancer, both classical and modern.  They then interviewed Michel, as the leader of the Ars Antiqua de Paris, and the four younger singers.  For reasons I need not mention, I made myself quite scarce and enjoyed watching from afar.  I was certain they did not require an English-Canadian point of view.





All of our meals were kindly provided by the Chambures, who did the cooking and cleanup themselves.  Breakfasts were traditional:  tea and coffee, bread, butter (they serve butter only at breakfast), and an assortment of jams and honey.  We usually were served by 9:00 a.m. and began recording at 10.  Lunch at perhaps 1:00 p.m. was sometimes proceeded by olives, juice, water, and potato chips, and then we would be served soup or a pasta.  Dinner was usually served by 9:00 p.m., proceeded by lots of local wines from Burgundy, possibly slices of sausages, potato chips, etc.  If it was nice, we helped carry everything to the two picnic tables on the lawn.  Other meals were in the dining room for the former hunting guests.








My last evening meal was a treat:  venison harvested in the local woods, accompanied by rice and what I assumed to be scalloped potatoes but it was another vegetable unknown to me.  Possibly the wine prompted me to forget to ask.


Each year, I wonder whether this will be my last time at La Chaux?  Everybody is so friendly with me.  My difficulty hearing is doubly disconcerting in restaurants generally, but when as many as four conversations in French are going on simultaneously, I really am lost.  Actually, everybody speaks English to varying degrees, several with proficiency, so I did have some good side conversations.  Our countertenor, William (shown above wearing his scarf) speaks French to me and understands my responses in English.  He rode with me from Paris to Morvan, a delightful three-hour trip which just flew by, especially when I was going 150km/hr (about 98mph).  I don't know how the recording will be.  The La Rue will likely be best, especially with the low notes.  We'll see.  The CD will bring back memories of fond weeks at La Chaux.

All for now, time for supper!  Sue and Marlin have arrived from PA, so we will join the Bloughs for dinner at Bercy.

Evan


No comments: