Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Pedestrians in Rue des Francs Bourgeois, in the Marais, Paris

Dear Mother,

Yesterday afternoon I went downtown into the Marais (swamp) district (mainly in the 4th district) which has long since been drained and built up with stores, libraries, schools, churches, clothing shops and apartments of all types.  Michel invited me to his flat on the 4th floor on Rue de Turenne to have tea and discuss the music for next week's concert.  We went over the more difficult passages, which I had learned well in advance of coming.  It went well, and I always enjoy chatting with him.

I then took another of my leisurely strolls through the area and became fascinated with people, often in twos or on smart phones.  The city is filled with characters of every description.  What I have not yet seen is any sign of immigrants, and I only saw three soldiers walking together through the streets.  One would frankly never know there had been trouble, for there is absolutely no sign of it.  Of course, EURO 2016 football (soccer) starts next month and the games televised throughout the world will be tempting targets, so preparations are well underway (we are told).

Since I am spending hours each day walking, I'll begin with some feet which are rather younger than mine.  I think these were lycĂ©e students walking after school was out.


These gentlemen almost seem related, and were workers of some sort.  A good shave would be in order.


The lady in the toque is examining a map of Paris, trying to figure out where they are.  He looks patiently resigned and will undoubtedly go wherever his wife says (I know the feeling). 


Her cigarette is not quite visible (out of focus) but many young women do smoke, which is a pity.


More European tourists slightly puzzled by the small streets.  That some of the streets change names every four blocks only adds to the confusion.



A professional beggar all decked out in his garb with the customary props:  drugged puppy sleeping (to arouse interest and pity), a handwritten sign asking for money to eat (he seems reasonably well-fed), and feigning sleep.  Later, he was talking on his cell phone, wide awake and most animated


This time, the husband is studying the map.  I find a small book-map much simpler to use, and of course the map on my phone.  These are European tourists, though I did not hear them talk.  The Americans will soon descend, talking loudly in their equally loud shorts--most undignified.  It is much better to blend into your surroundings (not that I can with my camera, but I try).


I would have to make this photo rather larger for you to see the ever-present cigarette in the hand that is also typing on the smartphone.  Very Parisian for young women on break.


I'm glad to see that scarves are still in vogue for French women.  I find them very comforting, even in look.  Janice certainly likes to wear hers, sometimes even inside.


I had to wonder if this worker was one that is being threatened by the proposed labour laws that will let employers lay off workers far more easily than before.  Consequently, enormous strikes are being predicted, and some are already in effect.  Some gas stations are running out of petrol, trains will soon stop running, possibly some airports, trucks are blocking ports, several major refineries have ceased to produce gasoline . . . goodness, it must already be springtime in France.


I just had to 'shoot' her brilliant coat; it was eye-catching.


His expressive face was typically French, as he forms the vowel "u" in ways English speakers find to be far too much work, but it makes a significant difference.


This morning we went shopping at the market in Charenton, getting fresh vegetables from Brittany, prepared dishes from the new local deli (which is simply excellent), and a copy of Le Parisiene to see what they are saying about the possible "total paralysis" as certain workers go on strike.  I wonder whether we might need to cancel our concerts and trip because of no gasoline!  Stay tuned.

With love from us both,

Evan

No comments: