Friday, October 18, 2013

Back in Vancouver

Dear Mother,

I need to phone, but we returned safely to Vancouver.  Jet lag seems to take its toll increasingly as we get older, but it is nice to be home again.

We are immediately impressed by how few people live on Vancouver's streets--compared with the streets in Paris and even St Maurice.  We are also seeing lots of grass for the first time in a month; pretty but sort of useless.  One visit to our local grocery store forcefully reminded me that I am no longer browsing the markets of St Maurice.  Meat, produce, cheese selection (all cheeses here are far too cold), deli section, the bread . . . we are no longer in France.  On this morning's news we learned that Canada is poised to sign a free trade agreement with the European Common Market.  One broadcaster said this means we will be getting cheap French brie.  I have news for that lad:  There is good brie in France, but it is not cheap.

I will be posting the remainder of my better photos on

http://kreiderskorner.blogspot.ca/

once I start processing them.  But until then, here are several photos I took today in the fog at UBC's Botanical Garden.

We already miss Janie's cooking, the Bloughs' companionship, talking and working with Yves, and . . . .

with love from us both,
Evan



No comments: