Sunday, September 22, 2013

Choir rehearsal for the Protestants en Fête

Dear Mother,

On Saturday, Neal persuaded me to go with him to a choir rehearsal, 2:00-5:00, which is not quite my style.  Next weekend, all the Protestants (meaning all those interested in ecumenical activities) are gathering for a three-day celebration, the second such rassemblement protestant to be held in France.  I like to think that it is the largest such gathering since Henri IV, but it will likely surpass any of his gatherings.  The festival will be held not far from here, and I hope to attend and take some photos on Sunday.

All the choirs from the Protestant churches from the greater Parisian area were invited to join in a mass choir for this event.  They anticipate about 1,000 singers.  Of those, about 400+ were able to get off work to attend Saturday's rehearsal at the Lycée Franklin.  The somewhat crude Benjamin Franklin was adored by Parisians (especially by some women) during his years in France.  He was instrumental in getting the French involved in the so-called 'American Revolution'.  Without the aid of the French navy, the colonies would surely have lost the war, hands down.  But that's another story, seldom told in US public schools.

As one of the photos shows (two Mennonite Church Mission workers enjoying a photo on a smart phone), the Eiffel Tower was just across the river from where the rehearsal was held.



People gathered.  An elite choir was seated on the main floor, all the other women on what we call the second floor, and all the men on the third floor.  The instrumentalists were gathered on the platform before the elevated altar, which was at the height of the second floor.  This is a Catholic high school, apparently able to offer Mass to its students.





The photos show how far singers were from the conductor and instrumentalists.  Even so, the sound in these acoustics was fantastic.  The singers and instrumentalists are clearly amateurs, but they love to sing.  After they warmed up a bit (vocal exercises which had nothng to do with what was to follow), they sang a cappella, A toi la gloire, one of two French hymns I know at least one verse by heart.  The sound was absolutely overwhelming in four-part harmony in that room.  I tried to wipe my eyes without being noticed, but I really would have preferred to cry, just let go.  It was utterly beautiful . . . raw, enthusiastic, and beautiful.  It was a choral sound I have not heard for years, possibly not since the College Mennonite Church met in the old Assembly Hall in the late 1940s.  A wall of choral singing.

I slowly moved about, shooting from this angle and that.  Soon I realized that I could not get everything in one photo, regardless of where I stood.  The sound was the best on the top level, where I started, but I could hardly get a shot of the conductor and singers from there.  These photos give some idea of what it was like being in the choir, in various places.  The photos also remind me that these singers took their music seriously, all 17 works.  I am so glad I went!

I eventually met the head organizer of the three-day event, who kindly asked that I speak with the conductor about my taking photos.  Neal then introduced me to the conductor, John Featherstone, an Englishman now living in France, an accomplished arranger and choral conductor.  He was very nice, asking only that I provide him copies of anything that might be useful, and this I have done via my flickr site.







The brass band was from the local Salvation Army.



I enjoyed observing individuals, or even groups of people singing together.  They were really concentrating, even if they seemed to be far away.













This is my favourite shot of my trip thus far, a father singing in full voice while holding his sleeping son.  That is one lucky son.  I can still remember singing beside you in church in Wadsworth.  I think I was an alto then.






I hope to attend the last mass rehearsal this Saturday, in the stadium.  Who knows, I might get more photos.  Meanwhile, we are thinking about a trip to ??? Tuesday-Friday, but need to name a city soon!

With love from us both,

Evan



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your assembly hall comment took me back to General Conference gatherings where the richness of the harmony seemed beyond belief. (BK)